mountain rescue teams helping an injured woman as winter conditions return to the lakeland falls

Rescue teams aid walkers in difficulty as wintry conditions returns to Lakeland fells

Mountain rescues in the Lake District were called to help hikers who were caught out as wintry conditions returned to the fells.

At about 6:25pm on Wednesday 12th April, Keswick Mountain Rescue Team was alerted to a couple in difficulties on Glaramara. 

The MRT said one of the party slipped off a drop and fell about 5m down, banging her head and injuring her leg.

A spokesperson said: “The woman’s walking partner came to check if she was all right. The woman assured him she was OK and that he should continue to search for his mobile phone that he had lost on the fell somewhere.

“The man backtracked along their route but in the bad visibility and snow that was not easy. After giving up on the phone the man found he could no longer find the woman despite searching for some considerable time.

mountain rescue teams helping an injured woman as winter conditions return to the lakeland falls
Photo Credit: Keswick Mountain Rescue

“The man, without his phone, had no choice but to descend. Meantime the woman realised that something was wrong and called 999 for mountain rescue.

“The woman was able to make her own way back up towards Glaramara aided by regular confirmatory calls from the rescue base and using PhoneFind to track her progress. When the phone signal got weak the woman was asked to stay where she was so that the team knew exactly where to find her.”

To maximise the chances of finding the woman, the team made two approaches, one via Combe Gill above Mountain View and also up the steep Hind Gill from Seathwaite. 

While this was going on, the man made his way down the valley safely and rang 999 from a local payphone at Seathwaite, giving the exact position to the police. 

The Keswick MRT spokesperson said: “The woman reported being cold and having a sore leg from her fall so the team asked for help from Cockermouth MRT to boost Keswick’s numbers in the case a stretcher carry proved necessary. Many thanks to them for turning out to help.

“Despite poor visibility on the snowy tops the team found the woman thanks to the precise PhoneFind location. She was given some food and after being assessed she was able to walk off unaided.

“The two walkers were eventually reunited back at the Keswick MRT base where, let’s just say, some choice words were exchanged.”

The incident involved 22 Keswick team members and seven Cockermouth team members, lasting just over 4½ hours.

You might also Like